How to Volunteer
Volunteers are the key to the Foundation's ability to maintain and operate our two locations – the Hemingway Museum and Birthplace Home, which are open to the public seven days a week 360 days a year. We need volunteers to help us with:Ongoing needs
- conduct tours
- collect admission
- run our gift shop
- greet international visitors
- preparing mailings and newsletters
- answering phone and email questions
- helping with the annual Boxing Day Celebration
- organizing public lectures and speakers
- planning the annual Hemingway Birthday Celebration
- assisting with the annual benefit dinner
- running errands
- writing articles for our semi annual newsletter "Despatch"
Over two hundred volunteers help us each year donating over 8,000 hours of their time which is equivalent to four full time employees or over $100,000.
Working with the Ernest Hemingway Foundation is personally gratifying and our Volunteers tell us they feel better about themselves, their community and life. Some of the benefits of working for the Foundation are meeting people who share your same values and interests, growing intellectually - about writing in general and Hemingway's writing in particular, giving back to the community and maintaining a sense of balance in your life.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer please download and fill out the Volunteer Application (pdf). One person can make a difference so please join us in our mission of fostering an understanding of the life and work of Ernest Hemingway and his impact on world literature.